A 54-year-old New Haven woman apparently jumped to her death late Tuesday night from an Interstate 94 overpass, Chesterfield Township police said Wednesday.
Slightly before midnight, a 57-year-old Roseville man driving a mini van called 911 to report he believed he struck a pedestrian on I-94 by the New Haven Road overpass. The motorist pulled over to give police information and said it's likely one or two other vehicles struck the woman in the westbound lanes but kept driving, township Detective Sgt. Deron Myers said.
The woman, whose Ford pickup was parked on the shoulder by the New Haven Road overpass, did not leave a note. Her family was notified of her death, but her identity was not immediately released.
Police said they are continuing to investigate the incident, but believe she leapt to her death. They did not say what might have motivated her. An autopsy is scheduled to take place today.
The motorist who pulled over after striking her was not under the influence of any drugs or alcohol and he fully cooperated with police, Myers said.
“He said he’s routinely on the lookout for deer in that area and, at the last second, he struck what he thought was a person," Myers said of the driver.
With help from New Baltimore police and the Macomb County Sheriff's Department, westbound I-94 was shut down at 26 Mile for several hours while police worked the scene.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Chesterfield Township Police Department.
See More on Patch
- Police Identify Driver in Fatal I-94 Crash
- Pedestrian Seriously Injured in Chesterfield Township
- 'Defeated, Worn Out' Suspect Placed on $2 Million Bond Following Chesterfield Township Manhunt
- Arraignment Scheduled Monday for Chesterfield Township Fugitive
- Alleged Drunken Driver Charged After Hitting Family of 4 on 23 Mile Road
Most Popular articles
- Chesterfield Splash Park Grand Opening in June
- Chesterfield Township Splash Park, New Baltimore Harbor, Detroit Tigers PAWS Pitches In
- Who's Hiring in Chesterfield and New Baltimore?
- Passenger Accused of Pointing Gun During Road Rage Incident by Hall Road
- Levin, Miller Weigh in on Obamacare Repeal Vote