Get set for a loud and lively fireworks season as dozens of new sales outlets take advantage of a relaxed state law in effect this year.
Now that consumers can buy airborne fireworks without leaving Michigan, more than 200 retail sales permits have been issued to temporary sites and stores around Metro Detroit, MLive Media Group reports. Macomb tops the list with 86 sellers, followed by Oakland (61), Wayne (70) and Livingston (38).
Some have colorful names – such as Thunderking in Rochester Hills, Red Dragon in Shelby Township and TNT Fireworks in Royal Oak. Others are generic tents, sprouting like carnivals as a sign of the season. Churches benefit from sales at sites in Royal Oak and White Lake.
It became legal this year to sell bottle rockets, Roman candles and other flying devices to consumers. Legislators passed the change, which Gov. Rick Snyder signed last Dec. 13, to generate sales tax revenue and registration fees. Sellers pay $1,000 annually for a permanent site or $600 for a tent or other seasonal, outdoor location.
Cities and townships can’t block sales, and have limited power to restrict where and when individuals can light mini-explosives that whine, bang and boom. The new law bars municipalities from regulating fireworks use on federal holidays – such as July 4 – or the day right before and after.
Township board members in West Bloomfield voted May 21 to prohibit consumer fireworks use any other times or on someone else’s land without the owner’s written permission. They also can’t be set off on school or church properties. Royal Oak commissioners approved a similar restriction the same day and also prohibited possession of consumer fireworks by a minor.
Macomb Township’s Planning Commission plans to specify where pyrotechnics can and can’t be sold. "We can amend the zoning ordinance to allow (fireworks sales) into commercial zones so people don’t start selling them out of their garages," Township Clerk Michael Koehs told Patch.
The following list shows locations in a number of Michigan Patch communities that are approved by the state Bureau of Fire Services to sell fireworks this year from an existing business or temporary site. The application deadline was April 1. A searchable list of all 613 businesses statewide is at this Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs site.
- TNT Fireworks, 27255 23 Mile Rd. (tent in Meijer lot). Applicant: Charles Gordon Friese.
- Botsu Luna II Fireworks, 47555 Gratiot Ave. Applicant: Caren Mary Burdi.
- Botsu Luna II Fireworks, 33195 23 Mile Rd. Applicant: Caren Mary Burdi.
- Unnamed tent, 50860 Gratiot Ave. Applicant William Munaco.
- Motor City Fireworks, 29430 23 Mile Rd. Applicant: Elissa Burda.
- USA Fireworks, 50700 Gratiot Ave. Applicant: Don E. Mock
- Thunderking Fireworks, 45400 Market Place Blvd. Applicant: Virgil Lee Johnson
- Motor City Fireworks, 20967 Hall Rd. Applicant: Elissa Burda.
- Motor City Fireworks, 46856 Hayes Rd. Applicant: Elissa Burda.
- Unnamed tent, 15351 Hall Rd. Applicant William Munaco.
- Motown Fireworks, 16621 21 Mile Rd. Applicant: George Kassa.
- Red Dragon Fireworks, 47054 Dequindre Rd. Applicant: Jeff Sobocinski.
- Thunderking Fireworks, 13975 Hall Rd. Applicant: Virgin Johnson.
- Arteeza Enterprises, 13459 23 Mile Rd. Applicant: Rodel Yousif.
- Arteeza Enterprises, 13595 21 Mile Rd. Applicant: Rodel Yousif.
- Unnamed tent, 50622 Schoenherr Rd. Applicant William Munaco.
- Unnamed tent, 2111 Dequindrel Rd. Applicant William Munaco.
- Fun 4 All Trading, 50925 Hayes Rd. Applicant: Mohamad Hojeije.
- Fun 4 All Trading, 49080 Van Dyke Rd. Applicant: Mohamad Hojeije.
- Motor City Fireworks, 45400 Utica Park Blvd. Applicant: Elissa Burda.
- Unnamed tent, 4025 Auburn Rd. Applicant William Munaco.
- Unnamed tent, 1132 S. Rochester Rd. Applicant: William Munaco.
- Phantom of Michigan, 150 W. Tienken. Applicant: Raechelle Speaker.
- USA Fireworks, Crooks Road and M-59. Applicant: Don Mock.
- Thunderking Fireworks, 2627 – 2951 S. Rochester Rd. Applicant: Virgil Johnson.
- TNT Fireworks, 5150 Coolidge Rd. (tent in Meijer lot, operated by Grace Apostolic Church). Applicant: Charles Friese.
- TNT Fireworks, 31786 Woodward Ave. (tent in Shell lot, operated by Grace Apostolic Church). Applicant: Charles Friese.
- Royal Liquor Enterprises, 1703 E. 11 Mile Rd. Applicant: Scottie Denha.
St. Clair Shores
- Fun 4 All Trading, 30780 Schoenherr. Applicant: Mohamad Hojeije.
- Crazy Fireworks, 30631 Jefferson Ave. Applicant: Tracy Wolf.
- Fits Entertainment, 26523 Little Mack. Applicant: Dennis Robertson.
- Pure & Simple Solutions, 3883 Rochester Rd. Applicant: Douglas Blunden.
- Fun 4 All Trading, 36949 Dequindre Rd. Applicant: Mohamad Hojeije.
- Fun 4 All Trading, 5071 Rochester Rd. Applicant: Mohamad Hojeije.
- SGS Electrical Service, 100 E. Maple Rd. Applicant: Sam Semma.