Lint Behind Aspen Creek Fire
Chesterfield Township fire officials say the apartment complex fire was due to lint buildup.
A weekend fire that caused smoke and water damage inside Aspen Creek Apartments started inside a wall, fire officials said.
"We believe it was related to the laundry shoot being plugged up with lint," Fire Capt. Douglas Calvert said. "Lint is very flammable."
No one was injured in the fire that happened around 5:30 p.m. Sunday, according to the Chesterfield Township Fire Department.
The complex does not have a communal laundry room. Each unit has its own washer and dryer, Calvert said.
This is not the first incident of its kind at the complex. Several months ago, lint sparked a fire there as well. No one was injured in that incident, but fire officials have discussed the lint issue with apartment management, he said.
In mid-January, firefighters responded to the apartments when a tenant burned food, prompting smoke but no fire. Residents evacuated the building.