Michigan Department of Ed: New Haven High Made Strides
The high school made Adequate Yearly Progress and is off the priority school list, according to the district and state.
The Michigan Department of Education has congratulated New Haven High School for substantial academic improvement, the district recently announced.
"It was no surprise to us that your students' academic achievement improved. We've been impressed with the level of commitment your staff, students, and parents have demonstrated this past school year to help all of your students become career- and college-ready and, therefore, improve their opportunity to be successful in life," according to an Aug. 27 letter from the state.
The letter from Noel Cole, supervisor of Coordinated School Health and Safety Programs and Bob Higgins, project manager of Safe and Supportive Schools Grant, is addressed to New Haven Community Schools Superintendent Keith Wunderlich.
The high school was previously on the list of priority schools, but it has since made adequate yearly process and is now off that list, according to the district.
"Our staff truly believes in our kids' ability to succeed," Wunderlich said in a prepared statement. "We're excited that all our schools made AYP and none of them have been designated priority or focused schools."
New Haven High School Principal Carl Wagner said in the release: "We've been working very hard on a number of initiatives to improve academic achievement. It is gratifying to have our accomplishments recognized by the Department of Education."