The 2012 Festival of the Senses takes place Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 22-23, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the grounds of the Clinton Township Civic Center, 40700 Romeo Plank. It will feature more than 100 artists and entertainers, a dog parade, vintage base ball game and more.
This year's theme is "Listen to Your Heart." While the event is free to guests, proceeds from the festival's sponsors and vendor registration fees benefit three local charities: Charity Music instrument donation, the Read to Me literacy program and music scholarships for the Warren Concert Band.
Free Admission and Parking
Parking will be located at:
- the Clinton Township Civic Center, located on Romeo Plank Road, near Canal (next to the Clinton-Macomb Public Library main branch);
- Chippewa Valley High School, on 19 Mile Road between Romeo Plank and Garfield;
- and Erie Elementary, on Romeo Plank Road, near Cass Avenue.
A free shuttle will bring guests to the Art Festival from Chippewa Valley High School and Erie Elementary. Handicap parking will also be available at the Civic Center.
Dogs are welcome!
Saturday, Sept. 22
- 10 a.m.-noon – First Annual Dog Parade, registration is available from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Civic Center for $5
- 10:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. – Dog Parade winners announced
- 11 a.m.-4 p.m. – Folk Group Pat & Patty
- 12:45-1:45 p.m. – Free Zumba Class with Studio Z
- 1 p.m. – Vintage Base Ball Game: Mount Clemens Regulars vs. Wyandotte Stars
- 2-3 p.m. – Detroit Soul Men Blues Band
- 3-4 p.m. – Heart 'n Soul Show Band
- 4:15-5 p.m. – Laurie Johnson Project featuring vocalist Laurie Johnson
Solo Acoustic Guitar Player William Russell will be on site from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
Sunday, Sept. 23
- 11-11:30 a.m. – Rythm Fusion Dance Company
- 11:30-12:15 p.m. – Czigany World Fusion Dance
- 12:15-12:45 p.m. – Chippewa Valley High School Drum Line & Color Guard
- Vintage Base Ball Game: Mount Clemens Regulars vs. Greenfield Village Lah De Dahs
- 1:15-2:15 p.m. – Warren Concert Band; Jeff Cutter, Music Director
- 2:45-3:45 p.m. – Macomb Ballet Company
- 3:45-5 p.m. – The Star Fire Band
Members of the Clinton Township Historical Commission will be at the Historic Village, located on the grounds of the Civic Center, to demonstrate period crafts and chores such as placemat weaving, corn husk dolls, candle making, corn shelling and old-fashioned games.
Food and Snacks
To learn more about each vendor's fare, read "What's to Eat?"
- Rojo Mexican Restaurant
- Vince & Joe's Gourmet Market
- Tawas Bay Fudge Company - Fudge
- Doin Nuttin - Cinnamon Nuts
- Kona Ice - Shaved Ice & Ice Cream
- Nana & Papa's Chocolates
- Rollin' Thunder Lemonade and Kettle Corn
Art Along the Plank
In addition to the almost 100 artists who will sell their works during the festival, the talents of local art students are also on display along the fence opposite the Civic Center on Romeo Plank Road.
Each year, juniors and seniors from local schools create panels based on the festival's theme to be judged by festival-goers and official festival judges. The winners are awarded monetary prizes in a variety of categories and the panels go toward the creation of next year's official Festival of the Senses poster.
For more information, visit the festival website.