A Chesterfield Township resident burnt a meal, but not the apartment unit the individual was cooking in, firefighters said Tuesday.
At approximately 7 p.m. Monday, all three of the stations were dispatched to on 23 Mile east off Gratiot. What they found was smoke, but no fire, according to fire officials.
"We thought it was a structure fire," Fire Capt. Douglas Calvert said. "We had one there in the past. It wasn't good."
Tenants had vacated the building when smoke alarms went off, but were able to return when firefighters deemed it safe.
"It was a careless cook," Calvert said. "They burnt their dinner. There was smoke in the unit and smoke in the hallway."
Late last year, a fire ripped through part of the apartment complex. No one was injured in the blaze. Repair work has since commenced on the burnt units, he said.