A Macomb County judge has stepped in to stop the release of 48-year-old man who was convicted eight years ago of having sex with his daughter and coercing her to engage in sexual activity with her friend.
The 10-member Michigan Department of Corrections Parole Board wanted to release Richard Hensley, 48, from the Pugsley Correctional Facility in May, but Macomb County Judge Peter Maceroni and Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said in a statement Monday that Hensley isn’t ready, MLive reports.
In 2006, Hensley, who lived in St. Clair Shores and Armada, was convicted of three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct, three of counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct.
The allegations dated back to 2002 and the abuse reportedly continued until early 2005. Hensley was charged in July 2005.
In a statement, Smith said the Michigan Department of Corrections can’t assure Hensley wouldn’t be a menace to society because he hasn’t received any sex offender treatment.
Smith said he applauds Maceroni for stepping in.
“This can’t be how it works, where you do nothing rehabilitative in prison and then get an early walk,” Smith said in the statement.
Michigan Department of Corrections spokesman Russ Marlan defended the Parole Board's now reversed decision to parole Hensley, saying that recidivism in sexual criminal conduct cases in Michigan is one of the five lowest in the nation – 29 percent, compared with 50 percent a decade ago.
Marlan said he thinks the Parole Board “does a tremendous job” of assessing cases. Only five parole cases were appealed last year, all of them in Macomb County.