The deadline to register to vote in the Nov. 6 General Election is just around the corner.
Local residents have until Oct. 9 to register to vote at the Chesterfield Township Offices or the New Baltimore City Hall, any Secretary of State office or by mail. In order to vote, you must:
- be 18 years or older on or before election day
- be a citizen of the U.S.
- have lived in Michigan for at least 30 days
- be registered on or before the close of registration
Those who aren't able to go to the polls on election day may cast an absentee ballot. An absentee ballot application can be picked up at city hall.
If you want the ballot mailed, your application must be received by 2 p.m. the Saturday before the election. These dates are also important to absentee voters:
- Nov. 3, 2 p.m.: Deadline to submit absentee application ballot by mail
- Nov. 5, 4 p.m.: Deadline to obtain an absentee ballot in person at clerk's office
- Nov. 6, 4 p.m.: Emergency absentee ballot can be obtained in person at clerk's office (note: deputy clerk says "lack of preperation" does not consitute as emergency)