Yoga has long been associated with serenity and finding your center.
And, thanks to a new series of classes hosted by St. Clair Shores-based , yogis can find tranquility on local waters.
Yoga on the Lake—using the stand-up paddleboards becoming popular with water sports enthusiasts— is offered at in Shelby Township and on Lake St. Clair at in New Baltimore.
It takes the exercise away from yoga mats and onto paddleboards, where balancing is more of a challenge.
The first session attracted about 9 people at Burke Park, said Great Lakes Surf Shop co-owner Melanie Rucinski.
"A lot of people weren't sure what to expect. However, it ended up being a lot of laughs and a lot of splashes and a good workout as well," Rucinski said.
When things got too shaky, it wasn't uncommon for someone to fall overboard.
"I've even fallen in a handful of times, which makes it fun," she said.
Anyone is welcome to join, even if they have no prior yoga or paddleboard experience.
The classes are:
- 4:30-5:45 p.m. and 6:30-7:45 p.m. Friday, July 6 at Stony Creek Metro Park, 4300 Main Road, Shelby Township.
- 6-7:15 p.m. Saturday, July 7 at Burke Park, 36300 Front Street in New Baltimore.
- 9-10:15 a.m. Sunday, July 8 at Burke Park.
- 4:30-5:45 p.m. and 6:30-7:45 p.m. Tuesday, July 10 at Stony.
- 8-9:15 a.m. Wednesday, July 11 at Burke.
- 7-8:15 p.m. Friday, July 13 at Burke.
To reserve a spot or for more information, call or email 24 hours prior to the class at 586-306-0951, 586-359-6951 or email email@example.com. The fee is $30 if you have a board and $40 if you need to rent one.